Monday, April 20, 2009

Omishto's Power

I enjoyed the end of the book. I think this is where Omishto's real power comes out- she develops as a character since Ama is gone and she does not want to stay with her real mother. You can see her power most blatently when she deals with the sheriff on page 205 saying, "and I look at him without my eyes wavering or lowering." Another place you can see it is on page 209 when Herm comes, "He steps back and I see him grow smaller than I thought he could, heavy in the stomach, his back weak." Omishto grows into her own person and lives her own life, not the life of someone else as she had been, as she says. Omishto has the power to decide what to do with her life now: "I grow like the roots and stems of plants, as if I am coming up out of the ground to the light after the dark season." She is growing into who she wants to be- she goes back to the old ways and lives with the old people. Omishto is a mysterious girl and in that she has power over others. She has power because she knows exactly what happened, but she is the ONLY one, she has power because no one is able to tell her what to do- they can not make her go back to school and in a sense they could not make her go to the hospital, and now she has the power to do what she wants.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you interpreted the power of Omishto...there was a lot of talk about the earth's power earlier in the chapter and I thought that was really interesting...like maybe the land had given Omishto the power, not the other way around...

    j

    ReplyDelete