Thursday, February 26, 2009

Othello

After seeing two clips of Othello, the one in class and the one from youtube, I was able to see how different one play is able to be performed. As we talked about in class, producers may interpret the play in very different ways when compared to other producers. I think this is interesting and I like that they are all able to be similar but very different at the same time. It makes it enjoyable to watch the same play multiple times . I do not think I will get bored of watching this movie and other versions because of the differences in interpretation. It is fun to look out for and see the diffrenences in characters and costume.

I liked the newer version we watched in class on Tuesday more than the clip that was on youtube. Othello showed much more emotion and Desdemona did not see so staged. To me it seemed a little more real.

I found it very interesting that so many people were wearing white and many of them had blood on their shirts. This is something we talked about in class because it was an important detail and both clips utilized this symbolism. One thing I noticed from the film in class on Tuesday was that even though everyone on the bed was dead Iago was the only one who visibly showed blood. This may be represent that Desdemona, although accused of being with Iago, had not. There was not blood on the sheets but only on Iago for what he did. Desdemona was killed in a way that did not draw blood, which is another thing I noticed from watching the film. She was innocent which is demonstrated by no blood from her being on the sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment